Saturday, 9 January 2016

Being overweight and pregnant.

I've been over weight for 5 years now and when I fell pregnant I was actually attempting to lose some. 

Luckily I've never had any health problems related to my weight but it's always nice to lose some and know you're actually a healthy weight than be in the mind frame "I'm fat but not unhealthy". Anyway when I got pregnant i was going to the gym twice to three times a week with my mum and I'd joined slimming world online and I wasn't dieting but I was trying to make some healthier changes in my life to help me lose some weight. 

Once I was pregnant I started to worry about my weight and about whether it would stop me looking pregnant and because I'd got pregnant in the middle of trying to lose weight I was worried I'd poke loads on and set myself even further back. 

I was initially put under a consultant because of my BMI and weight making my pregnancy high risk as shoulder dystocia?!? is more common in the labours of over weight women and I was also put on aspirin therapy as being over weight also put me at higher risk of pre eclampsia. 

I actually ended up losing body fat through my pregnancy and I the consultant discharged me near the end of the second trimester as my pregnancy was healthy and my weight was 2kg down on my booking in weight putting my BMI just below the cut off to be deemed a high risk pregnancy.  Being taken off consultant care and no longer deemed high risk meant I could now go under midwife led care when in labour. 

Even though I lost some weight and wasn't considered high risk I most definitely was still over weight but fortunately I did get a bump. I found my flab went to the bottom of my bump and although it wasn't really noticeable when I was dressed I had a "saggy pouch" at the bottom of my bump. The best thing I did to round my bump a bit more and disguise my fat was to wear old oversized Spanx to round my stomach but being over sized they didn't squash my stomach or hurt baby.* 

When I look back I actually became a lot more conscious of my size when I was pregnant because I never really saw my bump as a bump more as a fat stomach and I was continuously worried people would think I was just fatter than before rather than pregnant. Luckily, people did notice my bump was a bump (I'll include a few photos at the end!) and used to ask how far gone I was which used to make my day! 

BUMP PHOTOS 

*for the record I'm not recommending wearing Spanx in pregnancy I chose to wear them but it doesn't mean they're risk free. My Spanx were oversized and old so the elastic had started go on them they're weren't at all restrictive. If you do wish to wear Spanx in pregnancy you might want to consider buying actual maternity Spanx. 

No comments:

Post a Comment